The Ultra FINN has been replaced/upgraded with the Mega FINN – see migration document below.
The Ultra FINN™ is designed to make testing LEDs as simple and reliable as possible. Improved accuracy provides measurements for a wider color range, greater discrimination between hues and increased precision. The Ultra FINN’s small size and streamlined shape allows for testing very closely spaced LEDs and its faster speed decreases test times significantly.
Principle of Operation
The Ultra FINN™ combines a custom packaged, four-band color sensor with a microprocessor to optimize all the functions necessary to precisely distinguish the color and intensity of a light source or LED. The Ultra FINN™ accurately takes measurements from the sensor, calculates the color and strength of the light being tested, and converts it to an easy to read signal for comparing LEDs and other light sources
Method of Operation
The small, slim packaging of the Ultra FINN™ allows for easy installation directly in front or on top of the LED on a printed circuit board. During test, the light source (LED) is activated and the Ultra FINN™ outputs a frequency in kHz that quantifies the LED's color. The same signal quantifies the brightness of the LED with its pulse-width (average DC voltage). Now, engineers can use anything from simple stand-alone meters to fully integrated equipment in their automated test to implement a quality controlled, extremely reliable method for the test and measurement of light sources, a.k.a. LEDs.
- Covers complete visible spectrum, plus Ultraviolet and Infrared
- Operating voltage of 5.0Vdc
- Color identification determined by the frequency output and intensity indicated by the DC average of the same output (patented feature)
- Works with most types of LEDs on the market today - bright or dim, diffused or non-diffused, and smd or through-hole
- Can identify different types of multichromatic light (such as white, magenta, and purple)
- Fully automated testing
- Custom sleeve allows for easy installation - just drill, press fit, and wire wrap
- Automates testing of LEDs for placement, color and brightness
- Used for Functional and In-circuit testing, on any test platform
- Quality control for characterizing and standardizing LED use
- Three pins are: Output (signal). Ground, and Power
- Pins are spaced 70mil apart
- Sleeve uses standard 16 mil square posts for wire wrapping, 30 gauge wire recommended
The Ultra FINN™ requires 5.0 volts DC. Current is typically 17 mA.